Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Worms/Vermiculture

Worms, or vermiculture, as a method of composting is a pretty interesting compost. Not for the scoleciphobic (fear or worms - I learned a new word!), vermiculture apparently allows you to compost in a small apartment and make really good quality fertilizer.

I hate compost bins. Stinky and fungus filled, I hate opening them when I'm cooking for fear of getting spores everywhere! It's one environmental thing that I hate doing (along with cold showers). I don't have a backyard compost heap and I don't fill up the compost bin fast enough to avoid nastiness. I tried the paper liners. I gave up as I walked outside with icky grossness and the bottom of the bag burst because it was wet and got the icky grossness everywhere. My compost bin is sitting overturned outside because I do not want to wash it because it's nasty.

Apparently vermiculture will fix that! It doesn't smell and the worms turn it over too fast for fungus to develop into supergrossness. I made a DIY kit based on instructions from a book called "The Urban Homestead: Your guide to self sufficient living in the city". It was two walmart bins that I had kicking around from the last time I moved. We borrowed my landlords drill and drilled holes according to the instructions. I ordered worms and they are on their way!

They should get here.... tomorrow? I ordered them like two weeks ago but the folks I got it from responded to emails like once a week (who does that anymore?:P) !

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home